All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have so many new strategies and clinical developments emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless people the chance to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and fast method to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy advertisements about a particular laser center. Pick the physician, not the laser. Discover who will really do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Select a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor does not understand can injure you.
Ask Check This Out for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your doctor won't tell you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the risk of getting less than expert care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Beware of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless people all over the world.